Monday, September 27, 2010

Week # 6 Day Four 10 mile run

http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=4F6ADFD9-B906-D18B-3C975B3D73FBDC28

Well yesterday did not go as expected. Was supposed to do 11 miles, had it all mapped out. It began when I had my alarm set for 5:30 am so I could run in the morning and get it over with. That didnt happen. I ended up waking up at 8am, and got outside at 8:30 am. It was already really hot outside. I took one bottle of water with me, since i still don't have a camel pack/hydration pack to wear on my long runs, and it was definitely not enough. I ventured out to the River Mountain trail by my house. Its a paved bicycle/hiking trail. I went the other way towards Boulder City. I was about 5 minutes into the run when I realized it was going to suck. It was so hot, and I was running along black paved trail, with nothing around. There were tons of people on their bikes, too much spandex to see in one day. The trail is full of hills. Up and down, up and up and up. Then some down hills. I went slow, my pace was 11:06 a mile. I trudged along, thinking this sucks by myself. I wanted to quit the whole time. I ended up walking up some of the steeper hills. I was sweating so much and finished my water before the turnaround. I ended up going past the Veterans Home in Boulder City, and wanted to go a little bit further to get to the 5.5 mile mark I had mapped out. I ended up getting to the 5 mile mark and saw signs that said " Do not enter. Closed for private event. ". So I didnt go any further. I turned around and started back home. The last 5 miles went by a lot faster than the first 5. I got to go down the hills I had gone up, and knowing I was getting closer to home made it even better. My pace was awful and my form was awful. I think I was just kind of shuffling along. I was thinking I should do a mile near my house to make up for the mile I lost. That didn't happen. Once I got off the trail and near my house I could not bring myself to go any further. I ended up doing 10.18 miles in 1 hour and 53 minutes. I burned 1056 calories. I weighed myself when I got home and had lost 2 pounds during the run. I tried to drink a lot of water once I was home, but ended up having a killer headache the whole rest of the day. Lessons learned : # 1 ..Run earlier in the morning. It was too hot, and I got sunburned. Have a nice sock and short line , and burned arms. # 2.. Don't run that distance by yourself. It just sucks. No one to tell you to keep going when you feel like you can't. # 3... Bring more water. One bottle of water did not do the job. Well tonight is my rest day. My left shin has been killing me all day. Was fine during the run, but today its hurting. hope I'm not getting shin splints. Those suck. Had them in high school a few times, and they are horrible. Tomorrow is 4 miles. Think I'll take it easy for those 4. Not try to break my record. Might try adding a mile to one of my runs this week to make up for the one I lost. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment